| Here we see our heroine... +P
| Bitter Sojourn
| Player: Fiery Epitaph
| Security Level:
| Personal Data
| Real Name:
|| Serina Nolan Maze
| Known Aliases:
|| Bitter Sojourn
|| Human (Mutant)
|| 145 lbs
| Eye Color:
| Hair Color:
|| Pale Blonde
| Biographical Data
|| Grocery Bagger
| Place of Birth:
|| Verdant Isles, Alternate Earth
| Current Residence:
|| Kings Row
| Marital Status:
| Known Relatives:
|| Antun & Gloria Maze
| Known Powers
| Radiation Blast / Energy Manipulation / Flight / Fitness / Medicine
| Known Abilities
- Slowly absorbs ambient energy.
- Produces energy blasts and beams that weaken foes.
- Augment physical strikes with energy, stunning foes.
- Detect the latent energy in beings so long as they are relatively close (~30’) and unobstructed (Won’t work even through thin barriers).
- Act as a living “battery.”
| Heavenly Sojourn's Suit, Medical Equipment
- Combat Medic (Highly Proficient)
- Small and Heavy Arms (Highly Proficient)
- Grenade and Suicide Bars (Proficient)
- Basic Demolitions (Proficient)
- Basic / Advanced Computer skills (Proficient)
- Multiple Combat Skills (Highly Proficient)
- Small Squad / Battlefield tactics (Highly Proficient)
- Basic / Advanced training in adaptation of alien tech (Proficient)
- Survivalist Certified in Cold, Forest, Jungle, Desert, and Urban areas (Proficient)
- Interrogation (Deficient)
- Insurgency (Proficient)
- Counter-Insurgency (Proficient)
"We Frail Humans ..."
"... are at one time capable of the greatest good and, at the same time, capable of the greatest evil. Change will only come about when each of us takes up the daily struggle ourselves to be more forgiving, compassionate, loving, and above all joyful in the knowledge, that by some miracle of grace we can change as those around us can change too.”
- – Mairead Maguire
- What can we take on trust
- in this uncertain life? Happiness, greatness,
- pride - nothing is secure, nothing keeps.
- - Euripides, "Hecuba"
The Early Years:
Born to upper-middle class parents, Antun and Gloria Maze, at the Verdant Isles Hospitalle after 40 hours of labor, she was an unremarkable baby beyond the strange green-yellow of her eyes. Beautiful certainly and to the parents, a gift, but in all other senses of the word, unremarkable.
But as most parents would, Antun and Gloria delighted in their child. And thanks to her parents, who ran their own business, Serina lived a relatively care-free life. She attended the Verdant Isles Collegium, doing well in school even with her many extracurricular activities. She was popular yet not snobby. Athletic yet not elitist. Kind, empathic and perhaps a tad bit overly protective. She, naturally, became class president; sparking in her political aspirations. And while in her senior year, she was voted “Most likely to accomplish something great.”
Upon graduation at 17 she immediately enlisted (She lied about her age) into the VIA (Verdant Isles Army) as a Combat Medic MOS. Military service, particularly in a combat unit, being considered necessary for those planning a move into politics. This move was vehemently protested against by her parents, devolving into a passionate and completely unnecessary argument; her father going so far as to stop speaking to her and throwing her out of the house. It would be the last time they spoke directly. Her mother fell into position as a middle ground for them, exchanging information from one to the other and for a while it almost seemed as though they may reconcile.
It wasn’t soon after her 18th birthday that everything changed.
Her world was invaded. The aliens swept the planet, a tide of fire and death and society seemed to shatter under the impending annihilation of humanity as a species. In a single day everything she knew had been overturned. All her grand plans, all her hopes and dreams became so much smoke in the wind, joining the ashes of the dead as they drifted aimlessly over the despoiled hulks of their lives. She would never see either her parents again.
Her unit was called up and saw combat almost immediately as the governments of her world reacted desperately. She served, at first glad for the chance to do something, to strike back against the invaders. After receiving commendation and medals over and over again including analogues to the Medal of Honor, the Distinguished Service Cross, the Distinguished Service Medal, the Silver Star, and the Purple Heart, she realized she found them hollow.
Her joy at the chance to strike back had faded beneath the tide of blood that stained her hands every day. Her job was to save people but all she saw was death. Every new replacement's face she looked at, all she could imagine was that same face, frozen in a rictus, empty of life. She slowly pulled away, falling deep into herself. Every death was another tear in her, each death slowly destroying her.
But it wasn’t until she was in desperate action, trying to protect a downed squad mate that her mutant abilities were triggered and revealed themselves. With her newfound powers she was barely able to survive, demolishing the armored figure's shields which would normally require the concentrated fire of an entire squad. Afterwards she was eventually transferred to the newly formed WSDF (World Self Defense Forces) as a PIC (Powered Individual Combatant) and elevated to the equivalent rank of W4 (Special Operations Combat Medic). Essentially, the modern earth equivalent of Special Forces, except these individuals were all Meta's.
The End and the Beginning:
It was here she found her new family. As horrible the life they led, with all the blood and tears they shed, she had been able to find something in this unit. Casualty rates everywhere were high, often approaching 50-70% for regular units of the line. Here, their casualty rates were much lower, approaching what most would consider normal. And thus, a sort of permanence. A chance to develop relationships and build bonds.
It was here, among these brave men and women she earned her new moniker “Mother” while tirelessly protecting her newfound comrades. There were no lengths she wouldn't go to, no obstacles she wouldn't overcome to come to the aid of one of her comrades, often flinging herself into the thickest fighting. This lasted, that is, until one fateful desperate operation ended in disaster and with her arrival in Paragon into the waiting arms of Portal Corp.
And from that day, Bitter Sojourn was born.
- "The body is a house of many windows: "
- "there we all sit, showing ourselves "
- "and crying on the passers-by to come and love us."
- - Robert Louis Stevenson
Serina is average height with a very athletic build as can be expected of someone who's spent the last 5 years in nearly constant conflict. Even with eating irregularly and the combat she's managed to maintain a very healthy (and curvy) shape.
- "So you are lean and mean and resourceful "
- "and you continue to walk on the edge of the precipice "
- "because over the years you have become fascinated "
- "by how close you can walk without losing your balance."
- - Attributed to Richard Nixon
She is a caring but hardened individual. She's seen a great deal and her eyes show it. She's comports herself as a professional, doing the job and knowing very well how to work with a team or go it solo.
She has a somewhat dry and sarcastic humor that is not caustic or typically really mean. Usually it's directed at herself but once she has teammates she definitely will produce some of that mothering. This means she'll check for readiness, double check loadouts visibly, hover protectively and the like.
She also tends to smirk alot. While well spoken and professional she /is/ a military brat and has a mouth that can descend the other end of rude and end up atop "crude" mountain. Typically she doesn't do this though. Depends on the company.
She dislikes to an umpteenth degree fireballs and hotdoggers as they typically get themselves and usually others in their squad killed. She won't let that show much but get one of her charges hurt through negligence and she'll demand some kind of satisfaction
-Very- perceptive individuals who spend alot of time around her will notice a great deal of self-loathing when it comes to her responses to how "heroic" she may be or how "great a rolemodel" or compliments of that nature.
- "I am more than I know myself to be."
- - Anonymous
... Text Goes Here ...
- "Alice: But I don't want to go among mad people."
- "The Cat: Oh, you can't help that. We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
- - Alice and The Cat, "Alice in Wonderland"
- Dancing (although quite graceful she sees herself as a klutz and doesn't typically dance)
- Forceful men
- Toasted Turkey and Swiss cheese on Sourdough bread sandwiches
- Strong hands
- Chocolate ice cream
- Fire (Pyro anyone?)
- The cold
- Regular mustard
- Soggy wet clothing
- People who'd rather not sacrifice but profit from those who do
- Governments and bureacracy
- Forceful men
- Has a single tattoo just above her right buttock, at the small of her back; a set of iron-grey bars
- Is deathly afraid of beetles, specifically Ladybugs (Yes there's a reason)
- I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying."
- - Oscar Wilde
Spoiler warning: Details about a player-created storyline, or information currently unrevealed about a character, follow.
Arrival: Serina's arrival in Paragon.
Exit_Interview: How Serina took up Sojourn's mantle
Reintegration_Difficulties: Integrating back into a society is hard. An alien society? Even harder.
Heros_Lament: Yet to come ...
Spoilers end here.
- Go ahead and play dead,
- I know that you can hear this,
- Why can't you turn and face this,
- Why can't you turn against me?
- - A Perfect Circle, "Passive"
"... Text Goes Here ..."
- - NameGoesHere, ... Context Goes Here ...
"...Text Goes Here ...."
- - Journal entry.
"... Text Goes Here ..."
- - Journal entry.
- Theme Song:
- A personal song that some may catch her singing when she's alone and feeling particularly homesick:
- I utilized Alarcity's page as a template for my own without asking. Hopefully they won't be mad and hopefully this will become more its own entity as time passes. Thank you in earnest in the mean while for making my life a little less difficult. =) Oh! And -wonderful- character.