From Unofficial Handbook of the Virtue Universe
Often mistaken for a demon, Glyphica's powers were actually stolen from a djinn. Although she was once a Midnighter, her desire for power and notoriety were greater than her aptitude for magic. Frustrated and resentful, she spent decades searching for a source of power to fuel her ambitions.
When she finally succeeded in her goal of trapping an ancient djinn, she refused to bargain it's freedom for a mere wish. Instead she absorbed the djinn's life essence, binding it to her body through the use of fel rituals and arcane glyphs tattooed to her in gold. She would finally be unmissable, undeniable, and unstoppable.
Not without consequence, though. The person she was before was totally subsumed and her considerable intellect was all that remained of her old self. Glyphica was born: a creature of wanton strength whose only desire was to seek more and more power.
· Distinguishing Features ·
Pointed Ears, Small Horns, Tail, Long Tongue, Golden Glyph Tattoos
Powers & Abilities
· Known Powers ·
Supernatural Strength, Invulnerability,
Flight, Magic Blasts
· Other Abilities ·
Minor Shapeshifting, Ritual Magic, Arcane Lore
"What the hell are you?"
The result of essentially turning oneself into a human demon-summoning circle.
- It is unknown if this is the reason why she has horns and a tail, though it is a credible explanation.
- By layering several magical rituals, Glyphica adapted the power of the strongest demon-binding magics to shackle nearly any source of power to herself.
- She typically doesn't correct others when they refer to her as a demon, djinn, or otherwise. Not entirely human anymore, either.
A cautionary tale against wild magical experimentation and reckless ambition.
- Discovered that as far as binding supernatural entities to oneself, genies provided a favorable ratio of reality-bending power with minimum harm to one's soul.
- Her mind was incapable of handing such a vast cognitive paradigm shift and her memory was purged with only hints of her former personality remaining.
- Glyphica knows what she is and why she came to be, but can't recall who she was and frankly doesn't care to.
You might not consider her strictly "evil."
- Not seeking power for some nefarious scheme. It is her core motivation and an end unto itself.
- When the binding wiped her mind, all that was left for her new self to latch on to was the quest to become more powerful.
- Willing to work with Heroes and Villains alike to get what she wants; use of indiscriminate violence makes her a public danger.
Glyphica's nudity is the ultimate power move. She exudes magic and confidence.
- She resembles a living, latex-skinned mannequin; doesn't present genitals or nipples.
- Her eyes pulse with light and spew out raw magical energy.
- She often shimmers when she moves; unknown if this intentional or not.
Commission by Raylene Traylor
Powers & Vulnerabilities
"Some women fear the fire. Some women simply become it."
- R.H. Sin
- Magically infused with terrible strength, Glyphica doesn't fight her enemies so much as fling them about or tear them apart.
- Despite being soft to the touch, bullets deform and crumble against her skin.
- Blades fail to penetrate, energy is simply reflected or absorbed.
- Although unable to deflect psionic attacks, she is remarkably resistant to psi damage.
- Though not particularly fast, Glyphica can fly.
Magic Blast, Spells
- Unleashes golden blasts of raw, wild magic.
- Has learned a few "proper" spells now that she has the aptitude
- Can change size within a range. Frequently shrinks to fight in confined areas. Otherwise stays as large as possible.
- Sometimes grows wings, though not needed. Horns and tail may also be ornamental? Likely able to grow other parts.
- Previous attempts to radically alter her form have led to complications. She now tries to avoid such things.
- Being a haughty, power-hungry killing machine doesn't earn you many friends.
- Outside of one devoted follower and some fair-weather allies, has no backup to call on.
- Willing to work with others to get what she wants, then discard them.
- In conjunction with going it alone, makes it very easy to spring a trap on her.
- Has fought her way out of many traps so far, only increasing her arrogance.
- Resistant to psionic attack, but not impossible to mentally dominate.
- Typically able to recover very quickly. Then she gets even.
- Her mind is easy to read. Unknown if she can't hide her thoughts or doesn't care.
- Although inherently resistant to damage, most of her invulnerability requires active focus.
- Through the use of endurance-sapping affects, can be left exhausted and vulnerable.
Quirks & Hooks
"I'm not bad, I'm just drawn that way"
- Jessica Rabbit
- Arrogant to a fault; she thinks she's smarter than you, and knows she's stronger.
- Often becomes incensed in combat, offended that anyone would even think they could win against her.
- Nearly incapable of subtlety; prefers the direct route every time.
- Disgusted by lies and betrayal, but not totally incapable of them.
- Uptight and self-serious, but not entirely humorless.
- Frequently wears a smug, confident smile.
- Willing to admit when she is wrong. Good luck convincing her.
- Often seen reading in public, researching fabled sources of power to steal.
- Avoids using contractions for some reason.
- Enjoys top-shelf vodka (straight, chilled) and EDM.
- Not tech-savvy. Prefers to avoid using technology to become more powerful.
- Sees the use of sarcasm, crude sexual language, and/or passive-aggressive behavior as signs of a weak mind.
- Polite to those who show deference to her power; protects those who willingly serve her.
- "All cruelty springs from weakness." – Seneca
Commission by cromwellb
Commission by sevyc