From Unofficial Handbook of the Virtue Universe
|Real Name:||Jamie Salladon|
|Age:||30, ca. 2008/07/09|
|Place of Birth:||Paragon, Heterodyne's World|
|Base of Operations:||Paragon City|
|Known Relatives:||Usurper Dyne (parallel self)|
|Radiation Infection, Psychic Blast, Superspeed|
|assorted occult paraphernalia|
|No additional information available.|
- Paradimension ID Code: Virtue
- Registered Name: Heterodyne
- Registration Date: 2005/01/06
- Department: M.A.G.I.
- Group Affiliations: The Dauntless Reverie, The Dauntless Consortium
- Theme Song: None Listed
- Nemesis: The Golem King
- Status: Active
- Quote: Stop that glitchery!
- Holographic Costume Data: Heterodyne (female)/Costumes
Background and Origin
On her own world, Jamie Salladon was the daughter of a prominent Magician, and the best friend (and rival) of her father's most promising young apprentice, a young man whose talents lay in the realm of animation. In 2001, Jamie was mortally injured in a mystic explosion when the young man took their rivalry too far and sabotaged a ritual. Suffering intense regret, he saved her life by transforming her into her world's first half-golem, half-human Mysorg (Mystical Organism).
Following her recovery, Jamie grew depressed at her new condition, and an argument eventually led her to part ways with her former friend.
She became listless and her depression increased afterward, and she was barely even aware when the Iktir invaded Paragon in their floating sky fortresses, as she had taken to brooding in a deeply buried catacomb. She only snapped out of it when the mad Golem King arose, and she recognized his creations as the handiwork of her former friend. He had, ironically, suffered a similar fate as Jamie, and had to fuse his human brain to a golem body, using powerful magics in the process to erase his True Name and cement his majestic new identity. Jamie swore to oppose the King, and took up the role of a hero, giving herself the name "Heterodyne" (or, to her close friends, "Hettie").
Arrival in Paragon
During a visit to the Guild of Portals (a parallel to the temporal accident that caused Heterodyne (future) to visit 2004), a thaumaturgical accident threw Heterodyne out of her world and into the Virtue version of Paragon City.
Heterodyne was bewildered by this new world, which was overrun by what she perceived as the mysterious occult forces of "glitchcraft" (technology), and was home to strangely inverted versions of the heroes and villains she was familiar with back home. She soon learned that there was even a parallel of herself, a male hero named Usurper Dyne, who was a technologist.
- I made Hettie because I like playing around with alternate realities, and because I wanted a more magical version of Usurper Dyne to put into the The Dauntless Reverie. There have been a lot of variants of UD over the years, so I decided to make this one female for variety.
- I had formerly used the Heterodyne name for Heterodyne (future), but in the meantime I had obtained costume slots for that purpose, so a separate character for that purpose was redundant.
- Her primary powerset (Radiation Infection) is the opposite of Usurper Dyne's secondary. Since there is no direct mirror of UD's Kinetics set, her secondary (Psychic Blast) is instead derived from the Clockwork King's powers.