From Unofficial Handbook of the Virtue Universe
The Foul, Undying
Karathas without a Vessel
· Other Affiliations ·
Circle of Thorns
Somewhere in Oranbega
Magus, Sorcerer-King (Speculated)
No known record
· Known Relatives ·
None known to be alive
Tall and slender
Powers & Abilities
· Known Powers ·
Spellcasting, Possession, Incorporeal
"But the most terrible agony may not be in the wounds themselves but in knowing for certain that within an hour, then within ten minutes, then within half a minute, now at this very instant – your soul will leave your body and you will no longer be a person, and that is certain; the worst thing is that it is certain."
Fyodor Dostoyevsky (The Idiot, 1869)
The ancient mage known only as Karathas was born within the ancient city of Oranbega, the circumstances of his birth are unknown, and Karathas himself has referred to such details as insignificant. What is known is that he was once one of the numerous Sorcerer-Kings of Oranbega, whether to a minor or major degree has been unable to be determined, however Karathas seems to imply he was someone of particular power and influence. Whether the madness mage can be trusted is up for debate, but there is also little in terms of sources to say otherwise.
The Mortal Husk
“Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night”
Edgar Allen Poe (Eleonora, 1842)
The Two become One
"That is not dead which can eternal lie. And with strange aeons even death may die."
H.P. Lovecraft (The Nameless City, 1921)
Powers and Abilities
- Incorporeality Being a ghost, when Karathas's wicked essence is not within a mortal body, he is incorporeal.
- Possession Karathas is capable of possessing another person, this requires a mental struggle between Karathas and the individual he is attempting to possess. For this reason, he tends to favor those of remarkably weak will, or those who have slipped into are in a coma.
- Spellcasting As a Madness Mage of the Circle, Karathas is capable of casting various spells of differing abilities, from the ability to fly to turning foes against each other.
- Exorcism As a ghost, Karathas's connection to the mortal plane is tenuous at best, a proper exorcism right can break his grip on his current body or cast a hostless Karathas back into the Astral Plane for a short time.
- Magic - Perhaps quite ironically, the mage's greatest tool is also one of his greatest weaknesses. He is more vulnerable to magic, particularly without a host body to take the hit.
- Necromancy Given his undead nature, Karathas is susceptible to the sways of the necromantic arts. A talented necromancer can potentially draw him out of a vessel, and take control of him.
- Mortal Coil Karathas is an unnatural entity within the body of a mortal, as such until the body dies, he is vulnerable to conventional mortal things: knives, poison, guns, and so on.
- Karathas's Tome A compendium of notes, procedures, rituals, and spells.
- Magus Robes
- Spirit Thorn A thorn from the Thorn Tree, this is the Circle of Thorn's (And by extension, Karathas's) main form of possession. The thorn, when thrust into the heart of a mage by their own hand, transfer Karathas's soul into the body, imprisoning the other's mage within the thorn. This particular thorn is currently lodged within the heart of his current vessel.
- Friend #1: The description for Friend #1
- Friend #2: The description for Friend #2
- Neutral #1: The description for Neutral #1
- The Midnight Squad: The organization founded by the Dream Doctor in 1933, the Midnighters have proven themselves a thorn in the side of not just Karathas, but the entire Circle.