From Unofficial Handbook of the Virtue Universe
|Player: @Thunder Phoenix|
|Real Name:||Morgan Lumic MacVaine|
|Known Aliases:||Madame Machina|
|Eye Color:||Left eye: Brown, Right eye: Red (artificial)|
|Hair Color:||Violet (artificial)|
|Occupation:||Inventor/Cybernetics Technician/Transhuman Scientist|
|Place of Birth:||Aeon City, Cap au Diable, Rogue Isles|
|Base of Operations:||Cap au Diable, Rogue Isles|
|Known Relatives:||David Ross MacVaine (father), Marceline MacVaine ("sister")|
|Assault Rifle/Radiation Emission|
|Above average strength and reflexes; expertly precise shot with an assault rifle; able to harness and manipulate radiation; extremely high IQ; eidetic memory; extremely talented at developing, reverse-engineering, and manufacturing robotics and cybernetics; polyglot; sharp buisness acumen.|
|Assault rifle constructed into right arm, multispectral scanner constructed into right eye, nuclear reactor power source constructed into chest cavity in place of heart, smartphone of own design constructed into right arm, flexible e-tablet of own design which can be stored in right leg|
|Affiliated with the United Underworld|
Madame Machina is a cybernetic supervillainess operating out of the Rogue Isles, affiliated with the United Underworld. She is notable for her extensive cybernetic enhancements, and her cold, pitiless manner.
Madame Machina was born Morgan Lumic MacVaine, daughter of the famous and famously corrupt cybernetics magnate David Ross MacVaine. From even before her birth, Machina was intended by her father to be his masterpiece, a nuclear powered cyborg devoid of all the weaknesses of a normal human: smarter, stronger, and better in every way. She had not even fully developed when she was removed from her mother's womb, and placed into a lab to forge her into the entity she would become. As she grew, so did the extent of her cybernetics, constantly being upgraded and replaced to conform to her current form.
In the contained environment of the laboratory, Machina's father and the technicians surrounding her constantly reinforced the notion that she was a superior being, worthy of every advantage and privilege she felt she was entitled to. As one might expect, she grew into a monstrously spoiled, egotistical child, aided by her already growing physical strength and rapidly increasing intellect. It was not until she was fifteen years old that she and her family were able to place her into an academy where she was expected to be "great", and challenged what she felt was her superior nature. Unfortunately, she was also surrounded by not only other superpowered students, but "regular" human students, whom Machina referred derisively as "mundanes". As Machina observed the usual vagaries and follies of teenaged life, her confidence in her own superiority only increased, hardening her to strive to eliminate anything within her that she felt could possible make her weak. These things eventually came to include any outward emotional responses to anything, or showing even the slightest bit of pity or mercy to anyone around her. Still, she did eventually make a few friends among the superpowered students, have several adventures, and graduated valedictorian.
Machina proceeded to attend Aeon University on a full scholarship, majoring in Omnidisciplinary Science with a focus on Transhumanism. By this point, she and her father had developed her cybernetics to the point where she was a formidable force in battle, with a powerful multifunction assault rifle built into her artificial arm, and the ability to harness the ambient radiation in her nuclear reactor to use against her opponents. She had also taken the opportunity to collect as much knowledge as she could on robotics separate from cybernetics, and assume a position apart from her studies managing much of her father's company's business dealings. With all these elements in places, Machina came to realize that she had a duty to the world, and the human race: to create a world where the superior dominated, and the mundane were either completely disenfranchised or eliminated entirely.
She well realized her visions of a new world could not be accomplished without much resources, effort, and assistance. She assumed the identity of "Madame Machina" in an attempt to intimidate those who would oppose her in her plans (while retaining the "Morgan" identity in her business dealings, though she makes no attempt to distinguish the two identities). She has since assumed membership in the United Underworld, a group of "villains" with similar power-hungry goals to her. Time will tell how her plans and vision will pan out.
Madame Machina has striven to eliminate emotion from her psyche, but she still seems to have much to go before she can accomplish this. Her manner is typically extremely cold, with a near constant air of disdain for everything and everyone around her.
Powers and Abilities
Constructed into Machina's robotic right arm is the Multifunction Nuclear Driven Assault System (MNDAS), a powerful projectile weapon, capable of firing bullets, grenades, and a stream of flame. Under normal circumstances, the weapon is concealed in the armor of her robotic arm, but when she requires its use the armor rearranges itself to form the weapon, in essence creating an arm cannon. The weapon is tied into the cybernetics in her brain and eyes, allowing her to be a near-perfect shot with it.
The nuclear reactor that replaces Machina's heart, under normal circumstances, does not give off enough radiation to pose a significant threat to organic life around her. However, she has learned to intensify and manipulate the energy inside it to utilize as a way to harm and hinder her foes in battle.
Miscellaneous Cybernetic Abilities
Incorporated into Machina in addition to her central weapons are several other cybernetic enhancements which give her advantages over a normal person:
- Her right eye has been replaced by a multispectral scanner capable of collecting an enormous amount of data from her surroundings.
- Both of her legs have been replaced with cybernetics below the knees. This gives her superior running speed and stability. Also built into the legs are storage compartments for any auxiliary equipment she needs, and antigravity repellors built into the soles of her feet to allow her flight.
- Machina's nuclear reactor allows her to overcome many shortcomings of a normal human, including the need to eat, breathe, and sleep.
- Neurological enhancements give her a flawless memory, an IQ of 185-190, and extraordinary reaction times. She can speak eleven languages, including:
- Mandarin Chinese
- Machina's vast knowledge of robotics and cybernetics has allowed her to purlion and reverse engineer several robot models from around Paragon City and the Rogue Isles, including Nemesis Replicants (including several with powers imitating those of superheroes), Council Zeniths, Praetorian WarWorks and several of her own design. This knowledge also extends to weaponry and engineering.
- Machina is not well established enough to have made any specific enemies apart from those derived from her affiliation with the United Underworld.
- Madame Machina originated from an RP group on the Infinity server as "Morgan MacVaine". Care has been taken to retain the sanctity of the canon of the two servers while remaining true to the original character's personality and backstory. She was originally going to be re-named "Lady Machina", but the current name retains the Silver-Age-esque "MM" alliteration. Also, the other name was already taken.
- Machina is based on the characters "Seven of Nine" from Star Trek: Voyager, "GlaDOS" from the Portal series of games, and "The Daleks" from Doctor Who (Sharp-witted DW fans should notice at least three references to the show's villains in this article). She would be played in a live-action adaptation by Sigourney Weaver circa the first Alien movie, and voiced in an animated adaptation by Ellen McLain.
- It is also worth noting that her general demeanor and tone is more similar to GlaDOS in Portal 2 than in Portal 1.
- If you see Machina out in public with her tablet out, she's probably scanning and taking notes on you. That's probably not a good thing.
- Machina is wanted by the Paragon Police Department, Longbow, and FBI for various charges including assault, robbery, resisting arrest, impersonating an FBSA official, illegal experimentations, kidnapping, and fraud. Heroes are recommended to attempt arrest on sight, but to use extreme caution when approaching.