From Unofficial Handbook of the Virtue Universe
Born to a succubus and a human man, Naltheria never learned how her father managed that particular jaunt. All through her childhood, running through the streets and alleys of Mercy, the only way she saw the man who had sired her was a drunken, drug-addled wreck of a man who barely remembered to get enough food to feed the two of them. Even then, she appeared to be a cheerful and vivacious child, charming in a way that got otherwise distrustful and recalcitrant neighbors to supply her with extra things to get by, from food to clothing and even the occasional toy. For all that she struggled through childhood, Naltheria truly loved her father and did everything she could to please him, going so far as to help him get whatever fix he was going for or get the money to buy more alcohol. And for all of his vices, he never harmed his strange daughter and often bragged about her, talking about how he had come out on the better side of a deal with a demon. Since it was Mercy, where the strange and mutated roamed, no one made any noise about the red eyed little girl with delicate curling horns.
Until she turned 13.
Due to her demonic blood, Naltheria began to develop a bit sooner than a typical human child and she started the change from child to woman. Her father fell into deep debt with the Family and, in despair and fear for his life, cut a deal. All his debts would go away and he'd even be looked after if he handed over his daughter for their use. Given her growing looks and demonic blood, her father had few illusions about what that would entail. Deal made, he brought her to a warehouse and handed her over, turning his back as she was shackled and chained to the concrete wall to be studied and otherwise, even as she screamed and cried for him to help her. She was struck several times and tasted her own blood. At that point whispers started at the base of her skull and snaked up into her mind as she struggled. A part of her mind listened and tried to understand the strange words, the hissing whispers of offered help if only she would do something. Do what? She didn't know. But as a leering man ripped the front of her shirt open she screamed for help and a flood of power burst from deep within, released through her fear and adrenalin. Icy cold flooded the room as the ground buckled and then exploded as a monstrous form rose snarling into the stunned gathering. The unbound Demon Prince ripped the man straddling the shocked girl apart before turning and rampaging through the room, killing each and every living person in the building, brushing aside bullets and attacks with hell-driven fury. Blood coated the walls, frozen in places, bodies splattered in almost unrecognizable ways by the time the massive figure returned to stand over the trembling little girl. Reaching out, it snapped the chains that had held her and appeared to study the raw marks on her wrists from her struggles. To Naltheira, it felt almost as if the hulking demon was... annoyed, even outraged, at the marks on her pale skin. It was enough to distract her from the fact that her father was mixed in with the bodies, though a little voice in her mind whispered that she was now alone, that she had no family.
Betrayed yet again, the hatred in Naltheria's heart blossomed from her cell in The Zig. Her mind wandered down the twisting paths of her demonic heritage where she finally grasped the Infernal language as her uncle whispered to her while she remained in the drugged daze the authorities used to keep the dangerous beings of The Zig sedated. For almost four years she remained locked in the drugs and cement walls the Longbow had condemned her to. Her heart hardened and she no longer trusted anyone around her, learned that she could rely on no one by herself and her family, and that the only way she'd get anything done was if she did it herself. She dreamed often of becoming powerful enough to bring her uncle back to the human world for she had attached what was left of her trust and affection to the one being who had come to her aid, who had protected her, and who expected her to get up and become stronger for it. She fantasized about getting her hands on Longbow, any of them, and most especially on Ms. Liberty, the hero who had founded and led the group. It was Ms. Liberty that Naltheria focused her burning hate on, as the years went by, and she vowed she would do everything in her power to try to kill the woman who she considered responsible for what had happened to her.
Not long after her 17th birthday the prison was rocked by an attack. Roused from her sleep and her uncle's whispered lessons, Naltheria was surprised by the Arachnos agents that appeared in the doorway and offered to bring her out. She rose and followed them out, using her uncle's whispered teaching to burn the drug-daze out from her mind. When brought before Kalinda and informed of the chance that she was the Destined One that Lord Recluse was searching for she didn't believe her. Distrustful and angry, she wanted nothing to do with it until Kalinda pointed out that she would have to prove herself and that Lord Recluse expected her to be worthy of the work that had been done to get her out. Surprised at this, that someone would think she was worth enough to break out, that this same person expected her to have power and actually wanted her to use it, Naltheria took the first cautious steps towards the path the Fortunata had pointed her to. A small part of her heart yearned for someone to believe in her and it pinned that hope on Lord Recluse.
She is also a massive 'Uncle's Girl' and clings to him whenever she's uncomfortable or unsure. She will often sit on his shoulder when moving through the Rogue Isles or talking to people in an unofficial setting. To her family, the demons she summons, she is much more childlike and sweet, laughing and open in a way she is not around anyone else. She has given them all names from a book she read while in The Zig, since she does not want to use their true names around anyone who might be able to use them against them, especially since they are all unbound when she calls them.
She utterly hates Longbow and will go to any length to kill them any time she finds them. And her desire to destroy Ms. Liberty has not abated in her rise through Arachnos. She still hopes to find a way to get her revenge on the woman and will not hear anything positive about her without snarling and stalking away. She is also unable to get properly drunk on human alcohol, as her demonic blood burns through it too quickly for it to do more than get her tipsy. She enjoys reading when she has free time and goes through books at an incredible rate.
Starting with Kalinda, Naltheria rose quickly in the eyes of Arachnos. She appeared driven with a single-minded intensity to prove herself. She seemed especially gleeful to take on any task that dealt with Longbow and was vicious with them. And while she continued to do whatever the Spiders had lined up for her, she didn't hesitate to veer off and work on setting up her own affairs on the side, often encouraged and advised by her uncle. She came face to face with the mechanisms of one called Virgil Tarikoss that led her to her first encounter with a hero named Infernal who, like her, was half-demon. She was enraged when he refused to understand her and her own situation and decided to do whatever she had to in order to thwart any of his goals thereafter. Her uncle also expressed his disgust with Bat'Zul, the demon that had brought them all together. For, while powerful, it had been caught and bound so any other free demons scorned him. While she personally regretted it, she assisted others in rebinding the demon and then warned the betraying Tarikoss that she would remember both his actions and his face... and so would her family. She also learned of another demon summoner by the name of Desdemona. The two clashed several times, Naltheria always walking away the victor, and has sparked a deep dislike between the two of them and their differences in opinions.
Recently Naltheria has learned of a power beyond what she already holds within her infernal blood. In her continual desire to become more powerful and thus more reliable to Arachnos and its master, she is seeking this power and the secrets it holds. For this, she has agreed to assist Ouroborus, though she strongly distrusts them and their leader. Still, she figures that both that and the tantalizing power of the Incarnate might help her and Lord Recluse if manipulated just right...
Free Time and Facts
- Theme Song: The Howling - Within Temptation
- All of her demon family are named from The Three Musketeers: Atho, Portho, Ari, Dartan, Treville and finally Richelieu
- While she's very fond of Ghost Widow and respects the Mu(though she questions Scirocco's loyalty at times), she strongly dislikes Black Scorpion and Caption Mako.
- Partly due to the teachings of her uncle as a Demon Prince, Naltheria has a great deal of pride and carries herself as a lady, often getting offended when people are rude or demeaning to her.
- The marking on her face and the fiery halo both appeared when she released her power at 13.
- Naltheria is, at heart, still a teenage girl. While death, splattering bodies across walls, and burnt out futures hold no problem for her, the fear that Lord Recluse might someday find out about her crush is a deep terror that often wakes her up in a cold sweat, much to her demonic family's amusement and, in her uncle's case, annoyance.
- Trying to read Naltheria's mind is a very risky thing. Not only are most of her thoughts strictly in Infernal these days, she has also shaped her mind into twisted paths just on the edge of madness as a way to cope with her traumatic past. Her uncle also monitors her mind and will go after any other intruders.
- None of Naltheria's demons are bound. Because she is of their blood, and anchored in the mortal world by her human side, she exists as the perfect bridge for them to be able to be pulled onto the human plane of existence. This may be a key reason why they fiercely protect her. And why she was born in the first place...
- Naltheria has never asked about her mother and never intends to. She has no interest in the succubus who abandoned her and never once took an interest in her, even when she was in dire need, unlike her uncle.
- Character is pure Villain and won't be changing that. That said... the player is looking for a relaxed RPSG to hang with, too. Due to working 2 jobs currently, I'm usually only able to be around on the weekends, but I'm feeling a bit unhappy to be missing out on doing some of the interesting looking Strike Forces(like Lord Recluse's...) and getting my Incarnate stuff started. If anyone has any suggestions, feel free to drop me an in-game mail to @Naltheria. Thanks!