From Unofficial Handbook of the Virtue Universe
|Cobiness: A newly formed independent nation location at the northern tip of Baffin Island.|
|Cobiness is defended by a group of galactic heroes known as Alpha Squad.|
In 2008, the pursuit of true self-government for the native people of North America took a quantum leap, when a tiny northern region of Baffin Island, declared their independence.
HISTORY OF THE NATION'S BIRTH
Cobiness came to existence after a loud and well-funded native rights movement.
The movement was led by Harvey Cobiness; a descendent of Eddie Cobiness (famous Ojibwe artist and activist). He had moved to Nunavuk for the specific purpose of increasing the autonomy of the native people in the region. He believed that due to global warming, that the northern islands of Canada would become much more accessible and that their precious and largely untapped natural resources could fuel an unprecedented economic boom for the Inuit people.
He resented the Candian government's movements to militarize the arctic (especially since their was little to no compensation to the native people who had live in the region for centuries).
Harvey Cobiness' Methods
Harvey’s politics and his methodology were not without controversy. He was accused of “radicalizing” the native rights movement – and the RCMP linked Harvey to wealthy organizations with foreign interests. Harvey scoffed at the accusations, and noted that the American Revolution sought and received financial and military support from France and other foreign countries. He was simply, doing whatever he could to “liberate” his people.
Harvey’s break came when a rich uranium vein was discovered just north of Arctic Bay on Baffin Island in 2004. The Canadian government, placed federal claim on the resource almost immediately, but a horrible mining accident poisoned the fish and wildlife of the region. The natives of the region were outraged; and Harvey’s well-funded independence movement was given “center stage”, as the key opponent and critic of the disaster.
In late 2008, a formal referendum in Baffin Island was held to vote on direct severance to Canada, and establishment of an independent government. The referendum failed to pass, but the regions in and around Arctic Bay that had suffered most from the accident, voted overwhelmingly in favor. Harvey established a small militia and claimed that the region in and around Arctic Bay were seceding from both the provincial and federal government.
There was a large standoff between the Canadian government and Harvey Cobiness and tense negotiations began, reminiscent of the “Oka” crisis 15 years earlier.
Death of Harvey Cobiness
The final catalyst for independence was wrought, when Canadian forces fired upon and killed a small group of teenage protesters in Arctic Bay, amongst the casualties was the charismatic and beloved Harvey Cobiness himself. It became clear the Canadian government had ordered Harvey’s assassination, and that the plan backfired and Harvey and several teenagers were killed as a result.
Backlash / New Nation
The international press vilified the incident, and the television highlights of the massacre instantly brought fame and recognition for the cause. Canada, suddenly facing sanctions and resolutions from the United Nations, finally relented and on January 1, 2009, the region was granted full independence.
The nation quickly adopted the name “Cobiness” in honor of the revolutionary leader that had died to bring them independence.
CONTROVERSY / TECHNOLOGY SECRETS
To the utter shock of the whole world, it was even discovered that there was a hidden underground scientific laboratory and a rocket launching pad, hidden inside the mountainous regions of Cobiness.
The region had even secretly funded its own exploration of Mars, tapping into one of the greatest scientific discoveries in the history of man; but keeping it secret.
It was ridiculous that a small arctic island, where the largest “urban” population was numbered at just 1000 people, could launch a mission to Mars. Clearly, someone, or something was taking an active interest in the region and developing their technological capabilities at a rapid pace.
The population exploded shortly after independence was established, as thousands of ex-patriot scientists from around the world declared their citizenry. It was also revealed at a large urban center had been built underneath the tundra, again funded by an illuminati of mysterious origin, and had on its payroll a secret scientific enclave.
The local economy has surged due to the scientific research facilities, and many Nunavik natives outside the immediate border of Cobiness have sought immigration status into the nation. The nation also announced it had a 2 Trillion dollar surplus and that it was actively investing this money in infrastructure and increased technology. It also promised a unique “defense scheme” and vowed it would be one of the few nations on Earth without a military.
With this “overnight surplus” the nation also announced that sealifts and an extended airport were under immediate construction; as well as the establishment of safe uranium extraction techniques that are believed to be world class.
The controversy with the nation stems from the mysterious origin of the group of investors who funded such massive (and apparently) secret development of the region. These same investors seemed to also fund the independence movement and helped sway international opinion and political organizations to be sympathetic to their cause. There is a lot of speculation, but very little facts. Some have even speculated that the illuminati that funded this “revolution” are in fact aliens, from another part of our galaxy. This might explain the precision and ease at which Mars Five was discovered.
Possible Arcane Ties
There are also those who believe Cobiness is arcane in nature, tied directly to northern mythology and even Viking lore. There was some evidence Viking explorers had somehow made it to the frozen wastelands, and their remains were recently discovered and are now a treasured “asset”. All of this is “rumor”, the real fact is nobody knows how and why a tiny Inuit island is suddenly a world leader is space exploration and other scientific endeavors and apparently has trillions of dollars in wealth.
Lacking the infrastructure to support a legitimate army or navy, the nation of Cobiness formed a group of super-heroes and began to recruit mercenaries and vigilantes to defend their nation and to fight villainy.
That group is now known as Alpha Squad.
Cobiness has stretched International laws to their limits, by making each member of Alpha Squad members of their diplomatic corps, ensuring that all members of the group enjoy diplomatic immunity.
FAST FACTS ABOUT COBINESS
- SIZE: - Cobiness is approximately 50 square kilometers (30 miles square) It is about 5 kilometers east-west and 10 kilometers north-south. Much of the land is barren, rocky tundra and is uninhabitable.
- CAPITAL/POPULATION: - Ikpirajuk, a town officially listed as population 690. However this is a low estimate since thousands of immigrants and worked work in a secret underground urban township, estimated to hold 10,000 citizens (many of whom are immigrant Inuit and Native ex-patriot Canadians). Immigration status was approved overnight for these workers, and it was revealed citizens of no less than 27 countries now call Cobiness home.
- INDEPENDENCE: - Independence was granted to Cobiness by royal decree, after the Canadian Governor-General signed the ‘Cobiness Act’ that was ratified by Canadian parliament. The Cobinessian people were officially their own country, on January 1, 2009.
- MILITARY POWER: - None, the rugged peninsula of Cobiness is undefended, despite a vast space research facility, a secret rocket launch pad and valuable uranium deposits. Many have noted that such wealth without protection is a dangerous situation. To combat the periless situation the nation has begun recruiting to join a group known as Alpha Squad with broad legal rights, as well as diplomatic immunity to defend the nation's interests.
RECENT COBINESS ACTIVITY
- January 1, 2009 - On January 1, 2009 the new nation of Cobiness officially became independent. They unveiled the following as their nation's flag:
- January 7, 2009 – The Cobinessian people agree to hold elections in the summer of 2009, building a basic single-house parliament that feature one seat for every 1000 citizens (making 10 seats). Each citizen will be given three votes to vote for their three favorite candidates. The top-ten vote getters across all 10000 voters will win. The Prime Minister is the house member who received the most votes. Elections are held every 4 years thereafter. Meanwhile a provisional government is managing the day to day affairs of the new nation until elections can be completed.
- January 15, 2009 – Cobiness announces a liberal immigration policy; however many applicants are rejected after “security checks”. Many of the “security risk” candidates who are rejected are well known scientists and artists, with strong ties to Paragon City, or with strong political backgrounds to established governments.
- February 24, 2009 – Famous super-hero Doctor North announces his application for Cobinessian citizenship has been approved. The provisional government immediately appoints Doctor North as their United Nations ambassador.
- March 1, 2009 - The nation forms the supergroup Alpha Squad to help defend their country. They recruit Cobra Fist to be the day-to-day manager of the group.
- March 5, 2009 - Cobiness was invaded on March 5, 2009 by the Supreme Society. The invasion involved zombie mega-raptors and a large Nazi Supership. The invasion was a distraction to steal Doctor North and stow him away in the Supreme Society's dungeon. The Paragon Times article on the invasion...
- March 6, 2009 - Cobiness officials announce the invasion ended with the megaraptors and Nazi supership withdrawing only an hour after they arrived. They also announced their government will ramp up recruitment to Alpha Squad immediately to help their nation from future incursion.
- March 6, 2009 - Doctor North was mutilated, decapitated, beheaded and set on fire by Doctor Dismantle. His spirit died and had not been heard from since. Iroquois a powerful Indian medicine man attempted to bring his spirit back but failed. He was reported to be allegedly dead by the Paragon Times the very next day:
- March 13, 2009 - Cobiness successfully launches a mysterious satellite pointed outward to space, rather than inward to Earth. The launch draws international criticism and a the United Nations writing a resolution condemning the launch.
- March 29, 2009 - The Supreme Society launch a psychic bomb, (called the PAED), on Cobiness, paralyzing the citizens on the surface and then lulling them into psychic submission, serving the evil whims of Agonus. Alpha Squad are trapped in their own base, fearing if they head to the surface of their own nation, that they will also come under the influence of Agonus.
- April 11, 2009 - Alpha Squad's Cobra Fist manages to reverse the effects of the PAED, and repel the Supreme Society once again from the surface. During the struggle, a Paragon hero known as the Dominion of Canada is murdered, and Alpha Squad is framed for the murder. The tensions between Cobiness and other nations increases, and tough resolution against the nation is drafted and passed by the General Assembly of the U.N.