From Unofficial Handbook of the Virtue Universe
- Hyperion Force - New Member, signed up on the same day as their 1 Year Anniversary.
Get talking with Mari! That's the only way links will start showing up here, after all.
Please don't take offense if you are not listed - these things take time!
- Alexia Dale - Mari has yet to work professionally with this hero, although she has chatted with this talented heroine several times while Alexia carried out duties for Hyperion Force. Mari is quite intrigued by Alexia's appearance, and considers her quite fashionable.
- Anakronism - Mari joined up with Hyperion Force around the same time that he did. Mari has been impressed with his martial prowess, and is continually amazed at his ability to learn skills simply by spending enough time reading about them.
- Arroan - Mari has not worked professionally with this hero, although she has chatted with him numerous times as a fellow member of HF. Arroan was the person who introduced Mari to various pies, as well as the movie 'Snakes on a Plane'.
- Mari on Arroan - "Mari had never met someone like him before. Papa mentioned that beings such as him existed, but on Mari's first day with Hyperion Force, he was one of two Mari met. He's always been nice to Mari, and we had pies on Pie Night!"
- Brendan Aft - Mari speaks highly of Brendan, and is one of the first HF members that she met. Brendan was the HF officer that interviewed Mari for entry into the supergroup.
- Mari on Brendan - "Brendan is so nice! Mari remembers the first time he met with Mari. Mari was so nervous, it was the first time Mari has been interviewed for anything! He has such nice wings too..."
- Cap'n Contradiction - Mari always seems to smile when Kate's voice can be heard over the communicator. This heroine actually holds claim to being Mari's first contact with Hyperion Force, and as such, gave Mari her first impression of what these heroes would be like. Kate did not disappoint, and was critical in Mari's decision to follow the suggestion of the Hero Registration clerks to apply with HF.
- Mari on the Cap'n - "Oh, Kate? She's so funny! Mari hasn't been able to work together in the field with her yet, but Mari can't imagine it would be anything but exciting and fun. Mari looks forward to that time!"
- Ixiie - Mari has repeatedly run into her during the 2007 Holiday Season in Pocket D. Much fun has been had helping numerous skiing participants achieve their badges! Much of it has been solely due to Ixiie's creative cheers and energy, as well as the 'Good Luck Tornado'.
- Mari on Ixiie - "Oh, Ixiie is the greatest! Mari had so much fun being around her on the Pocket D slopes, and cheering on all of the people trying out skiing! And she's such a pretty shade of blue!"
- John Flag - Mari has nothing but praise for this hero. He mentored her during Mari's first clash with the Clockwork being called Paladin. Regrettably, Mari was not present for the second round in which Hyperion Force members were successful once again and were recognized for their hard work.
- Mari on John - "He's so very patient! Mari was very nervous when we flew out to battle Paladin. Mari had never fought against such a large...robot, Mari believes is the term? It was only because of his coaching that Mari was not hurt badly! Mari hopes to be able to fight as effortlessly as he did when Mari is that strong!"
- Kei Seishou - Mari calls her 'The Greatest Fighter in Paragon City' despite others doing their best to dissuade Mari of this belief. While Mari is immensely respectful of other superheroes, she insists this title is Kei's. Curiously, Mari has since expressed some confusion over that lofty title, and includes Alexia Dale as a co-holder currently. Still, Kei's name always seems to be the one Mari associates strongest with the title.
- Mari on Kei - "There are many things that Mari is proud of, and one of them is getting to meet the Greatest Fighter in Paragon City! Can you believe that while Mari was being interviewed for Hyperion Force, Mari got to meet her? Kei stopped by during the interview, and once Mari found out who she was, Mari was so very impressed! It just made Mari all the more confident that Mari was making the right choice!"
- Liberty's Twilight - Mari has worked on occasion with this hero, and considers him a good friend. He has given Mari valuable insight into what it means to be human, something that Mari often questions in her reflective moments.
- Metalics - Mari often smiles when she speaks of this powerful hero. Perhaps odd, considering at one point she was blasted and attacked multiple times by said hero(Note - It was part of an ongoing storyline), but Mari seems to hold no grudge. If anything, Mari appears to identify with Metalics for some reason.
- Phoenix Blades - This young heroine is another of the 'new' recruits that joined up with HF around the time that Mari did. Mari has worked extensively with Lemmy on several occasions, and while her exuberance and energy exceeds even Mari's, the two have gotten along well.
- Tenarco - Mari has teamed with this hero occasionally, and bubbles in excitement over her mastery of the bow! When questioned, Mari appears to believe much of what Tenarco expresses as fact, or at least considers it well-informed knowledge. Mari has attempted to duplicate some of Tenarco's archery feats on hapless Hellions with dubious results.
- Mari on Tenarco - "Ten is so much fun! Ten knows such fascinating things, and Mari can always depend on her to know what's dangerous. Oh, and Ten can do such neat things with her bow and arrows! She makes it look so easy, but Mari found out it's really, really, really hard to do. That's why Ten is so great!"
- The Cobalt Streak - Mari has worked together on many occasions with this hero, and is quite in awe of what Iggy can do. There have been critical missions that Mari could not complete without the help of this hero, and as such, Mari considers herself lucky to have had such guidance. Mari has stated in the past that she only wears her cape due to the intervention of Iggy and X-Fyre.
- Mari on Iggy - "Mari doesn't know how he does it! Mari is constantly amazed at what he is able to do, and there is never a dull moment! Mari can count on it being an exciting and successful mission when he's around! Oh, did Mari mention exciting? That's the most important part. Really!"
- X-Fyre - Mari worked together with this heroine on a few missions, but one in particular was of great importance - the mission to earn Mari's cape! Mari credits her cape entirely to X-Fyre and The Cobalt Streak.
- Zenika - Mari met this superheroine during the Holiday Season of 2007. On the slopes of the Pocket D Chalet, Zenika, Ixiie, and Mari formed a cheerleading 'boost'-er club of sorts, giving out frequent assistance to the skiers. Mari was delighted when Zenika showed up on more than one occasion to the impromptu cheer parties.
- Arachnos - Mari has repeatedly come in contact with Arachnos while teaming in Siren's Call, and has come to the conclusion that they like black a little too much. So far, Arachnos troops have not been amused. Mari has, however, been impressed with their ability to hide from sight - she in turn has also been experimenting with magic to hide her presence.
- Circle of Thorns - While Mari has not professed to "hate" them, she insists their magic "tastes" funny. After repeated confrontations with them, she has upgraded this to "tastes bad". The CoT have not responded in detail, although they have alternately either run in terror, or attempted to cause harm to her.
- Freakshow - Mari seems to be amazed when Freakshow members randomly return to consciousness after being knocked out. While other team members might be groaning or muttering obscenities, Mari can sometimes be found clapping her hands with excitement and asking how they do that magic trick.
- Hellions - Mari has repeatedly tangled with them, and often can be seen chasing after them in Atlas Park, admonishing them for everything from stealing purses to the need for proper dental care. It is not unknown for Mari to sit with blinded Hellions who are fighting with either illusions or her imaginary friends, and talk to them at length about the need for them to play nicely with other people. Many Hellions now scream and run as soon as she is sighted, unwilling to suffer through such a session.
- Skulls - Similar to the Hellions, see above.
- Tsoo - Limited experiences so far, although Mari is unsure whether she approves of their 'funny tattoos'.
- Mari is able to use Illusionary Magic, much of it derived from her creator's own studies. She does not seem to use any verbal components for her magic, but it appears that her hands must be free in order to cast any of her current magic. Her magic preys on the inner fears of a target, often causing them to experience stress or phantom pain that can injure or immobilize, but not kill. She is also able to cause a person to confuse friend for foe, sometimes using this to have criminals help arrest each other while she turns her attention to other threats.
- Mari has demonstrated an ability to manipulate life energy in those around her. So far, she has been able to convert it into a healing spell, as well as use it to strengthen those around her. Recently, she has begun to experiment with using the borrowed energy to "boost" the magical energy that animates her body, allowing her to move at a rate far in excess of what she is normally capable of. She has had limited success so far, as it is both an unreliable and short-lived spell.
- Mari occasionally makes use of small magical talismans which she throws at opponents. They are often made of inexpensive beads, semi-precious stones, animal bones, or other assorted shiny bits. Due to the time required to make them and their relatively weak strength against most criminal elements in Paragon, she does not regularly use them.
- Mari is reluctant to enter physical combat, but is able to summon dark energy to her hands with which she lightly strikes opponents. Her actual punches/slaps do not have much strength behind them, keeping this attack as one she only uses in emergencies or for show. Her attack indicates a passing familiarity with a martial art, but she has shown no indications of formal martial training.
- Standard Issue Communicator - Mari seems to have trouble hanging onto her communicator. On multiple occasions she has dropped it, which will most likely require replacement regularly. In a day's time she has managed to drop it into a soda, into pizza, as well as off a tall building.
- Raptor Flightpack - Mari greatly enjoys the freedom her issued flightpack gives her. However, like many other things technological, she has difficulty using it properly. She has already managed to crash into a building while using the pack when no other buildings of similar height or taller were nearby.
Weaknesses & Limitations
- Mari is not very knowledgeable about advanced technology. She is not entirely clueless about them (she seems to know the basics of computer operation), but anything particularly advanced will generally confuse her unless it is a "Point and Shoot" sort of item.
- While not strictly a weakness, Mari is uncomfortable with the idea of killing. She has mentioned that "Papa" would be very disappointed if she killed intentionally.
- Mari has a minor curse/shortcoming of the magic her "Papa" used to give her life. Any advanced technology she carries herself (i.e. communicators, laptops, high-tech weaponry) will inevitably be dropped. While the "curse" itself doesn't make the items stop working, the abuse they suffer from being dropped on the ground might eventually cause damage - particularly when she is flying around Paragon City. A shortcut that "Papa" took during the rituals to enchant Mari with life are the cause of the odd aberration. Mari is completely unaware of this fact, and seems to not be overly troubled by the accidents.
- Mari thinks shoes/footwear feel "funny". She regularly runs around in bare feet.
- Mari has a habit of speaking about herself in third person ("Mari thinks..." rather than "I think..."). While she apparently knows the "correct" english, she regularly lapses back into third person. It is not unusual for her to switch back and forth between first and third person in a single conversation.
- Mari is not very familiar with, nor very good at using any sort of advanced technology. She had to initially ask Ms. Liberty how to use her communicator. Ms. Liberty was thankfully very patient and didn't tear her hair out like some of the City Hall clerks did.
- Mari does not need to eat on a normal basis, but is fascinated with how various foods taste. She has not experienced a lot of foods common to Paragon, so is constantly nibbling at new foods she comes across. She also has a habit of picking her food apart little by little while eating.
- Mari was originally imagined to have a jester's outfit of sorts. However, once the jester's set was released with Issue 11, Mari Doll's creator quickly became sick of the look due to every other hero wearing the jester's outfit. (Most of the others were wearing the Enforcer outfit.) Currently, Mari Doll will NOT make use of the jester outfit included with Issue 11.
This article about a character is a stub -- a small, but growing, work in progress. If you're the creator of this character, why not consider expanding it?