Sylvia Rumare comes from a long line of hunters, though not just any kind. This family of highly trained assassins and killers would kill anything that could bring them honor and riches. From assassinating warlords and kings, to hunting deadly monsters and demonic entities, they did it all. After many generations, her family began to dig their claws into anything that gained them power globally, including corrupting law enforcement, governments, as well as secretly taking over large corporations that operated across the world. What resulted was a worldwide network of secretive connections, and almost limitless resources.
This massed amount of support and resources, allowed the family to become little more than a shadow. By the 2000's they had training facilities and headquarters in almost every country across the globe. These facilities are so well hidden, that even with some 6 billion humans on the earth, none seem to stumble upon, or locate them making, the Rumare become something of an unknown element to the world. The few attempts made to track the Rumare family, have all ended in death, or absolutely nothing.
It is in this family, that Sylvia was born. Youngest of five children, and the odd one out. Her two sisters were always tormenting her relentlessly, while her brothers almost always sat and did nothing, refusing to get involved. Unfortunately for her, Sylvia was (quite literally) the 'black sheep' of the family. For some reason, anyone born under the Rumare name had pure white hair, from the day they were born. Sylvia was the only recorded exception. This resulted in a lack of trust, even from her parents, who were incredibly harsh, meeting any misconduct with beatings and removal of 'privileges' like food.
Despite the ill treatment, Sylvia grew up being trained like few before her, being faced with death on a daily basis, hardening her heart and mind and giving her a kind of outward shell. Even though her training came in leaps and bounds, her family was constantly dissapointed by her progress, causing her to feel constantly inadequate next to her brothers and sisters, making her work that much harder.
On the day that she turned twenty, as usual, the entire family assembled. (See family structure for details) She was honored, more or less, like any other child. She completed all the necessary rituals, and received all the usual honors. Despite this, she deeply resented all those assembled. She hated being one of them, she could barely stand to look at them, let alone have them all focused on her. As a result, she found herself drinking heavily. Having never drank before, she couldn't have known that she was not one to hold her alcohol well. Before long, she barely knew what she was doing. Unfortunately for her, years of trying to control herself suddenly fell apart, as the alcohol took away her inhibitions. Before she knew it, she was standing on the table of the elders, dancing in her underwear! (I'm embarassed to type that! XD)
It's probably no surprise, that after the events of her ascendance ceremony, Sylvia was practically shunned by the family, after disgracing her elders. She was already on thin ice, and this just strained her family bonds even more. Despite this, the ritual continued. Sylvia was given an experimental suit, and sent on her way, assigned with a mission, undoubtedly meant to get her killed, so the family would not have to think about her. Unfortunately for the family, Sylvia never went on that mission. She took her suit and her weapons, and hijacked an aircraft, escaping into the free world, and landing outside the city we all know and love. Paragon City.
Much of the Rumare family hierarchy is based on age and renown. Those who had completed the most dfficult tasks being at the top, and controlling the actions of the family, while children and the inexperienced had little control. Because the family had to stay formal and well directed, despite the family being spread thin all over the globe, they had yearly reunions of every family member, without exception.
The children in the family are trained in basic skills from the tender age of four, quickly advancing into more advanced forms of combat, until each child eventually becomes a one-man army. At this point, they are worked even more rigorously, forced into life-or-death situations on a regular basis. Despite this, children of the Rumare almost always exit training, alive and healthier than most. With the skill to face impossible odds, and succeed.
Of course, because this family operated outside of normal law and society, they had their own laid down rituals. For anyone in the family, you are a child until the age of twenty, at which point the child becomes a full adult, with every privilege. To celebrate the ascendance into adulthood, the family calls for another reunion, aside from the yearly one. This is the only time, other than emergencies, that a reunion is called outside of the normal schedule. The ascendance ceremony is entirely in honor of the child. During this time, they are given their own personal arsenal, are required to recite oathes in front of the entire family, and are even allowed to sit at the same table as the greatet of the elders. They are the first to drink, there are toasts in their honor, and the fesities continue for fourty-eight hours, from the eve of, and the Birthday itself. After the great meeting, the new adults are given their first task of honor and skill.
While most mistake Sylvia's apparent mood swings as some kind of PMS or insanity, the truth is, she has three very different personality layers that make up who she is. Each one has it's own habits and tendencies, and each is almost entirely different from the others. I call these three personas Shimmer-Strike, Syl, and Sylvia. Here, I will try to give a comprehensive description of what each one is all about.
Shimmer-Strike: Shimmer-Strike is the very first persona that most people will meet, and almost like a trial, seeing if newcomers are worthy of seeing past the armor. This conservative personality is by far the most domineering of the three, and also the most aggressive. She is most commonly seen in her heavy armoured suits, standing emotionlessly and silently. Shimmer-Strike tends to be very dead-set, focused, and definitely cold-hearted. She cares little for the feelings of others, seeking most of her amusemnt in the physical bullying of people, or denying other's attempts at humor. Despitethat, she tends to be thin-skinned, and willing to take offense very easily, making her even more dangerous to converse with. Shimmer-Strike is often involved in her work, or quietly listening, not being much of a participant in discussions of a casual nature. However, when strategy and business are being dicussed, this persona shows her true colours, and really begins to shine.
Syl: Syl is practically the opposite of Shimmer, loving nothing more to hang out with her friends, toss around teasing insults and pull silly pranks. Syl often dresses in casual, punk, or clubbing attire and tends to be very energetic, not always thinking things through before she does them. This persona usually tends to come out to play with Sylvia's friends, greatly enjoying the public atmosphere and reveling in te attention of others. Because of this, she has to be more thick skinned than Shimmer rarely taking offense, and much prefering to fight words with her own style of humour. Syl seems to be very extroverted, and tends to pale when in serious situations. She's about as deep into Sylvia's personality, as most could ever hope to get.
Sylvia: Sylvia, probably the truest expression of the 'real' Sylvia Rumare, seeming to use the other two personas as shells to hide this softer side of her personality. This persona is likely one of the most shy, insecure, and sweet girls that you'll meet. Sylvia would never hurt a fly, and would be ashamed to think that she hurt someone's feelings. She only ever opens up to her very closest friends, and others that she cares deeply for, and is by far the most loving, caring, and nurturing of her personalities. She makes her appearances when her friends need her most, providing comfort and advice as best she can. Sylvia would do anything for her those she cares about. She's the quietest, and most sincere of the three, and aims to make her loved ones happy, whatever it takes. If you get to meet her, consider yourself lucky.
Outside the three personalities, Sylvia is still pretty odd, and tends to see situations from a very unpopular perspective. For example, she tends to believe, that she shouldn't choose sides, when two allies, or friends, fight. She sees it as 'unfair' to give one an advantage over the other, or to tip the scales in one's favor. With a completely clear conscience, she can sit and watch two friends beating the crap out of each other, only intervening if the fight gets lethal. Also, very little of her actions ever appear to bring her feelings of guilt. She's certain that she must be right in her actions, and tends to not care what others think, when she does something they consider outrageously unkind, or unethical.
What's generally agreed in almost every circle, including some of her closest friends, is that Sylvia is highly emotionally unstable, occasionally even bordering the line of insanity, on those seldom occasions that ruin her perception of what she considers real. She seems to constantly be on an emotional roller coaster, snuggling with a close friend one minute, and kicking a man in the balls, the next. In other words, she can be really great, just approach with caution.
Anyone who's met Sylvia, and probably many who have yet to, have seen the gleaming suit of armor that represents her, and only her. The suit started as nothing more than a piece of high-tech metal between her and her enemies, with basic HUD and motorized muscle enhancements. But, over time, and with many helpful upgrades from various friends, techies, and even the Rikti, her suit has become something of a marvel. Weighing in at about 1-2 tons, this stoic piece of machinery is nothing to laugh at. If she's angry at someone, pray it's not you.
- Laser Sword and Shield: First and foremost on her person, are her sword and shield, capable of cutting cleanly through anything short of impervium, or occasionally a super classed 'invulnerable', Sylvia can wield these like the maniac she is, and can do major damage.
- Impervium /dense alloys: The suit contains incredibly dense, yet malleable alloys, as well as heavy duty impervium plating covering key areas. The armor is incredibly tough, taking bullets, missiles, and other large weapons, with little critical damage.
- Kinetic barriers: Because of ever increasing firepower from those nasty baddies, Shimmer's armor now has invisible kinetic barriers around her armor, that deflect most attacks before even hitting the suit, often leaving her armor completely unscathed, except from the heaviest of battles.
- Advanced HUD: Through the latest technological advances, Shimmer's helmet provides advanced targeting, vision on several different spectrums, and different types of scanning capabilities. Leaving few things unseen, and her accuracy almost always dead-on.
- Synthetic muscle: The suit also comes with built in synthetic muscle, giving her hugely enhanced strength. Enough to lift just about anything lighter than she is.
- Dual Plasma Cannons: Sylvia eventually upgraded her suit, to allow her arms to morph into a few different modes. The most powerful thus far, is the ability morph her arms into a pair of powerful plasma cannons, capable of melting all but the most powerful metals. Pray you aren't in their path...
- Nearly limitless energy: Through a recent upgrade, her suit is now powered remotely by a massive fusion generator, that is easily enough to power a massive base. Or a suit that serves as a one-woman-army.
- Phase stabilizers: Through advanced dimensional rift technology, her suit now has the capability to phase in and out of the physical plane. Not only does this allow her to act with it in combat, but it also allows her to phase in attachements and weaponry from her HQ, as she requires them on the field.
- Massive Arsenal: From Railguns the size of a Van, to giant missile pods and pulse cannons, her ability to call any weapon from her HQ, has caused her to amass a terrifying array of weapons, most of which are capable of terrible feats.
(( More to come, when I remember xD ))
- Phase weapons: While her armor is no doubt extremely powerful, and nearly unbreakable, it has no defense to phase weaponry, meaning, if it's not on this plane of existence, her armor won't even slow you down. The only thing she's got protecting her from ceertain death, is whether or not she can get out of the way fast enough.
- Magic: Okay, I can't really be specific here, but her armor has no magical defense. While it will defend against ice, fire, and other magically summoned elements, magic itself is not impeded in any way. Any kind of attacks at her soul, her gravity, or anything else you can think up, that doesn't have a physical presence, will not be stopped.
- Mental attacks: While she has the strength of will to provide a little resistance to mental domination, the only thing protecting her, is a small magical stone she was given, that provides minor resistance to mental intrusions. Needless to say, if you're any good, her defenses will only be a nuisance to your powerful influence.
(( More to come, yup. ))
- Fun stuff: For her own personal amusement, Sylvia has had her arms upgraded to morph into a few different modes, two of which are a pillow launcher and paintball gun. Nothing is more deadly in a pillow fight, than a six barreled pillow cannon, so the only question is, do ya feel lucky, punk? Well, do ya?
On occasions, she will also fire confetti and streamers out of her arms.
After several months of being unwittingly controlled by the demon Salanaris, the two were successfully split into two seperate beings. Unfortunately, because of the way their souls were fused, neither Sylvia nor Salanaris retained all of what they were, the essence of one another lingering behind. As a result, along with being forced to live with the form of the demon, Sylvia has gained a portion of her abilities to reform her body with focus and energy, as well as summon void fire.
- Regeneration: Though not regeneration at the cellular level, like many heroes are capable of, Sylvia, through intense focus, can use her own body's energy, or the energy consumed by her void fire, to reform her body. Though this isn't automatic like some regeneration, it has the potential to outspeed and outperform most healers, regenerating full limbs in mere seconds.
- Void Fire: Only accessable to Sylvia when she becomes incapable of holding herself back, the deadly fires are also extremely costly for her to use. Void fire, the term Syl gave the flames, only aim to do one thing, consume all 'living' energy to feed themself. From souls, to essence, to a creature's very flesh, the flames consume it all, leaving behind only non-organic material, like clothing. The fires affect anything that could be considered alive, including demons, elementals, spirits, and most any sentient creature, clinging to them and burning through their bodies like acid as it feeds off them. Though mostly fiery in appearance, the flames actually feel icey cold to any who touch them. Void fire itself, is in fact, intelligent to a degree.
It hunts and seeks food like a predator, and in its most advanced form, can warp itself in the shape of demonic dragon. The fire itself is incorporeal to all things without this living attachement to the world, meaning that it does not affect the world around it, leaving areas untouched except for the fact that it is devoid of anything living.
Friends, Enemies, and Everyone else.
(( Add your name, if you want to be mentioned. Seriously. I'm forgetful. >.> ))
- Naomi Stol: Meeting her one random night while bored in the D, Sylvia found she had an amazing amount in common with Naomi, not least of all being a competitive nature, as well as key differences that Syl's begun to learn from. After agreeing on a frivolous bet that ended with Syl as Naomi's 'pet', She found herself falling for Naomi. Hard. Despite this, though their relationship continued for a while, their difference ended in a painful breakup.
- Agenla Kedair: Agenla, a person Syl met and never really thought about for the longest time. Eventually, Syl stuck around to hang out with her one day, and found her altogether too much fun to tease, especially when she gets bold and decides to tease right back. Often Syl doesn't even know what to think about her, but one thing's for sure. The adorable Nymph is climbing the charts in Sylvia's good books.
- Jack Kojin: Sylvia's first official boyfriend for a time, and now ex. Regardless of their relationship, she always enjoys this man's presence, delighting in endless hours of teasing and taunting, back and forth.
- Lia MacKay: An old friend of Sylvia's, way back from the days in the Warehouse. Over time, they've gone through many shenanigans and had a lot of fun. But they still remain close friends and occasionally confidantes. Now that she's gone, Syl feels lucky, in a way, that she never regained he closeness to Lia, it certainly made any pain, much more minimal
- Souma: An adorable two-eyed, two-horned, flying purple people eater! Almost immediately after the rough introduction, these two hit it off. Souma proved to be a worthy friend, earning her place as one of Sylvia's most trusted, and dependable friends of all. She's easy to talk to, fun to be with, and honestly, Syl wouldn't change a damned thing about her. For Souma, she'd do just about anything.
- Dantian: Brad, like Lia, is an old pal of Sylvia's. While she never got quite as close, he's one of the few people that can cheer her up when she's feeling down. Usually by getting himself hurt, just proving their friendship.
- Jo M. Sterling: Sylvia was never really sure just when she met Jo, But she quickly took a liking to her. She is now the president of Jo's fan club, and her personal teddy-bear. It wasn't really a surprise to Sylvia, when she developed a crush on the girl, but she's content as long as they stay friends, doing all she can to support her through the drama she seems to stir up.
- Zack Lanning: Another mysterious friend that Sylvia seems to have made spontaneously. She doesn't know much about him, apart from a strange accent, a squishy composition, a good sense of humor, and a laid back attitude. From giving her clever advice, to being her partner in crime, he does it all. Despite how little she knows, Sylvia's already decided she thinks he's awesome!
- Barrie Shields: Simply put, Barrie rocks. From being sexy, to dishing out some of the best advice, to simply being there and listening to Sylvia whine and complain when she needs a shoulder to mope on, Barrie does it all. She is one of Sylvia's most level-headed friends, and probably the one she would turn to without a doubt, in her times of need. Of course, she's also just awesome to hang around with, making her one of Sylvia's best friends!
- Artemis: Artemis. The groping, grabbing, annoying as hell robot. Why does she like him? The simple answer is, she's got it bad for anything technological. Especially something as stubborn as she is, in getting what it wants, regardless of what it is. Besides, he's funny when he wants to be. Good enough for her!
- Hydra: Cocky one moment, sappy the next, but always interesting. Hydra stepped into Syl's life practically unnoticed, until she realized that she enjoyed spending her time joking around and teasing him, more than many of the people she'd known for months, it's simply easy with him, and although he can be dramatic and angsty at times, she figures it's probably just a phase... Probably.
- Tamiko: At first, Tamiko really confused Sylvia. Almost immediately after they met, Tamiko spent more than half the time they spent together, harassing and haranguing her. But, for some reason, Syl couldn't help but like the attention. Now that they've gotten to know each other a little better, Syl enjoys spending her time battling with this arch foe turned friend.
- Robotic Spectre: While not exactly one of Syl's closest friends, there's something about Brian that Syl feels at ease with. When something's on her mind, she doesn't need to think twice about talking to him. and when he actually has something important to say, she doesn't hesitate to listen.
- Wolf J Havoc Wolf? He's a nice guy. Snarky at times, grumpy or broody at others. But one thing's for sure, he'll always have some stupid comment or bit of random advice for Syl that she'll always gets a kick out of. He may not be her best friend, but he's definitel solidified himself as a stable friend, regardless of what might be happening.
- Reppu~ Syl's had a habit of trying to keep her distance from Reppu~, ever since she learned that she was crushing on Sylvia. Not because she isn't flattered, but because she doesn't like people getting hurt because she's not interested. She thinks Reppu is nice, albeit slightly annoying at times, like when she makes random noises and flashing lights, but hopes that she'll be able to see past that soon enough. Also, it MUST be pronounced Reppu~, that is the only correct answer.
- Xrell Xrell is probably the only demon Syl would call a really good friend. He's helpful, polite (usually), and unless you do something to piss him off, he's pretty chill. Plus, Syl's always gonna have fun teasing him about being the Abominable Ho-man. The two may not share their feelings a lot, or work through emotions a lot together, but he's always someone who she never has to worry about offending. She can simpyl be herself around him, minus the drama.
- Simi'kraz: While occasionally considering her a bit harsh or bitchy, even by her standards, Sylvia sees something in Simi, though she claims to be emotionless, she occasionally notices a spark of humanity. She tries to stay on her good side, and enjoys her odd perspectives, and occasional comedic outbursts.
- Jordan Murphy: The first love interest Sylvia had, as well as best friends for a long time. Eventually, after months of what she considered ill treatment, Sylvia left Jordan's group and cut contact. She's not really sure where they stand, now. When they do occasionally meet, it's guaranteed to either be awkward, or awesome.
- Xeden: Chris, a man Sylvia once admired greatly, and would serve with until the bitter end. Unfortunately, his recent actions, and blatant distaste of her behaviour, has caused her to keep her distance, only ever saying hello, in passing. What he doesn't know, is that the loyalty is still there, if he would ever ask for it.
- Labal: The leader of the Abyss. Sylvia is constantly wary around him, and would only take off her armor if she was ordered to, or certain of her safety. She actually thinks he's a pretty cool guy, but knows that, especially with demons, looks can be VERY deceiving.
- Shadeweb: Another friend from the Warehouse. While she will always consider him a friend, simply because of their history, they have had many disagreement, and spend far too much time arguing, for her to really place him in her inner circle.
- Jack: This guy really amuses Sylvia. She actually doesn't mind him in the least, taking delight in pissing him off. Unfortunately, she's done so a few too many times, and he's grown to hate her. Nothing's really changed as far as she's concerned, except now she might need to watch her back... But then again... Probably not.
- Envy: Although she'd definitely call Envy a friend, because of how she enjoys hanging around, and goofing off with the small demon, Syl has made somewhat of an enemy in Envy, when attacking his best friend, Ash.
- Bluejaye: A young woman that Sylvia met in the Refuge. Sylvia quickly became close to the girl, helping her as much as she could, through some of life's more difficult moments, and offering advice where possible. Recently things have taken a turn for the worse, and Syl doesn't have much patience for the girl.
- Rikti: For some unknown reason, Sylvia seems to hate the Rikti with a passion, more than most. She is known for vicious behaviour around these aliens, and mass slaughters of said xenos.
- Rumare Family: Let's just say, after she left her family, they decided that they were gonna get rid of her permanently. In other words, she's being chased down by her entire family, who are always working up new ways to kill her. Take a guess why she hates them so much.
- Unsought: After accidentally thwarting one of her plans, Syl has been hunted tirelessly by this crazed girl that seems bent only on killing, often barely escaping with her life. Needless to say, she'd not call her a friend.
- Clerisy: Ash, he made the wrong move, when he decided to attack Shimmer, over a girl. Ever since, Syl has set out in order to kick his ass once and for all, and teahc him a lesson in messing with the wrong people.
From left to right, Jo, Lia and Syl
( Hell, why not, right? Most of you know what to do, just leave something, if you want )
"Syl... The woman is one of the /best/ snugglers ever. Well.. unless you piss her off, then she's a beast. I'd suggest keeping her happy... for everyone's sake." Jo
"We haven't known each other very long or anything, but I absolutely adore this girl. Serious. She doesn't put up with my shit, which...I'll say, I have a lot of. But there's this...cosmic level of sexual tension between us, I think. Maybe it's best left alone...you know, for the sake of the universe." - Sully
"Syl's a friend, whether she's fightin' wi'y' or helpin' y'out o'a bad situation, she's there for y'... 'course, y'mess tha' up an' th'old sayin' 'ell 'as no fury like a woman scorned comes way back in'o play." - Zack Lanning
"Not going to lie, most of the time Syl and I get along together like a rabid cat who's just been through the dishwasher and a badger after you stole its dinner. But god damnit, she's one tough broad. She knows what she wants, and she takes it. We've been through a lot together, Syl and I. The good, the bad, and the ugly. While I may not always agree with what she does or how she acts, I'll always respect her for being true to herself and not taking anyone's shit." - Lia MacKay
"I used to hate her for her attitude, but it seems as though she changed. And MAN does she have good reflexes, I swear, I even try and grab at one of her breasts and it's like BAM! She's in her powersuit. Not to mention she has a nice rack, and gorgeous tan skin (I still prefer pale beauties though), she is just an overall sexy devil! I will get her eventually though." - Artificial Intel
"Hate her. She was cool at first, but then it's like she flicked a switch and went psycho. Can we say over-reactions? I just dunno what her problem is, and, at this point, I don't care to find out... and she sliced up my favorite hat!" - Wr8th
"I'd like to call Syl my friend one day, once her and Ash can get along." - Envy
"Syl is great. I'm glad to be able to call her a friend...And I want another go in the arena." - Pure Justice
"Syl's a great person to be around, really; I fully appreciate everything she's done for me. I mean, she helped me save my kids even when she had sworn off of violence for good. I can't even tell you how much that means to me." - Barrie
"Although there's been problems in the past, I consider Syl a friend, albeit one to be cautious with." - Tomasu
"See now, I don't understand why everyone is all like 'UGH, Syl's such a meanie!' Screw the haters, Syl's a cool girl!" - Ross
"She's undeniably awesome. Not only is she good to have on your side in a fight, she's good to fight! I can't tell how good she is -really-, considering her suit weighs five tons, but without it she weighs like.. ninety. Either way, Robit's a cool girl to have around, and I'll have her back when she decides she wants to blow up the world in the name of justice." - Barnabas LeVite
"I'd fuck 'er. Oh wait...she has a vagina. STILL THOUGH! Syl's pretty bitchin'. And I like our competitions to see who can get laid first!" - Sage
"I love her 'cause she gave me a pillow cannon! FUCKIN' AWESOME!"- Collin
"Such a dorky butthead... At least I got that damn flag away from her." - Naomi Stol
"Sometimes I wonder which one I like more. The one that's broken my ribs before, or the one that's sexually molested me. I guess it's not a contest, really!" - Reppu~
"Syl and I have not seen eye-to-eye on some things, but I do respect her resolve. She's got that 'I'm a badass and I don't care' vibe going on, but if you look close enough, you can see the not caring bit is just a front." - Wolf J Havoc
"I like Sylvia! She's neat! We should totally hang out more often!" - Star
"She's an acquired taste, like sushi, or being shot in the face. Sometimes she seems insensitive, but I think it's just her sense of humour and a lot of people don't have something like that. She's one of those people that I'd willingly punch someone in the crotch for -- assuming it's called for. Get past everything on the surface and the inside Sylvia is really... something." - Agenla Kedair
"I like Syl! She's a great friend and I'm always happy to lend a hand. And she has cool armor. And a lightsaber. And a formerly evil clone that hit on me. That was creepy. Oh! And I owe her three fifty.
..Goddamn three fifty." - Brian
"That Sylly bitch. She's full of herself, abrasive, rude, bitchy, prideful, and generally an all around decent person, deep down. And I do mean deep. All kidding aside, she's pretty cool. But if she pulls on my tail again, I'm gonna feed her those teeth of hers." - Xrell