From Unofficial Handbook of the Virtue Universe
One night Johnathan Ramsey went to bed and didn't wake up. Instead, Justin Kain did. Johnathan Ramsey was a good student who did well in school. Justin Kain gave his teachers nightmares. Johnathan Ramsey loved his parents. Justin Kain murdered them in their sleep. But there was something strange.
You see, when Justin closed his eyes, he didn't fall asleep. He'd enter a new world where his word was law. Where everyone was at his mercy. And when he stabbed someone in this new world, they'd wake up and find themselves internally bleeding. Sometimes Johnathan wakes up in mornings, unsure of what happened, why he's hunted, and why people refer to him as Kain. But when he falls back asleep, sometimes he sleeps for weeks on end, walking the streets as Justin Kain, the Sleep-Stalker.
For a more extended story of Johnathan Ramsey's life prior to Justin Kain, please see his respective Virtueverse (Work in Progress)
Operation: Dream Catcher
For more information, see: Operation: Dream Catcher
The pet project of Talisien, a unit of the Shadow Spiders was tasked to kidnapping little Johnathan Ramsey from the Freedom Corps base at Sharkhead Isle. It was here that Markel Smythe and Executioner Garroh kidnapped Johnathan, using drugs to suspend him in a dreamless sleep. Johnathan was placed in a stasis tube, and sealed in the base. Soon, Johnathan was forgotten, especially when the Shadow Spiders moved to the Asgard, leaving Johnathan's prison behind.
For half a year, Johnathan laid sleeping. He may've remained there forever, forgotten... until Bad Dream started taking interest in Operation: Dream Catcher. Once again, Markel was sent, but this time it was Markel Darkweaver who was sent to retrieve Johnathan and deliver him to Bad Dream. Upon possession of the boy, Dream began artificially accelerating his growth and "programming him", wanting to make a new assassin. What Dream didn't realize is that he'd created something more...
The Birth of Justin Kain
The stress from reawakening, since Dream didn't bother continuing to drug Johnathan, tolled on him heavily, combined with the extended sleep. Suspended in the tank, watching the members of Black Tie come and go, as well as mixing with the "programing" being played to him every day, Johnathan developed a new side of his personality. This side was Justin Kain. From almost the moment he was placed in the tank, Justin Kain was the dominant force in Johnathan's mind, meaning Kain learned all of the control of his abilities but also gained the mental blocks preventing him from utilizing his powers against certain individuals, notably the Black Tie.
After a few months of learning and growing, Justin (now physically and mentally 19) was once again "liberated" by Freedom Corps during a process of Black Tie relocation. Back in Paragon, Justin became dormant as Johnathan was reunited with his father and step-mother. Johnathan returned to school, think his nightmare was over. Unfortunately, it was far from that.
Within a few weeks, Kain rose up. Deciding that a normal life was unacceptable and no longer the correct path for the two, he began to take steps to ruin the life of Johnathan, who was still mentally 9-years-old. First it began at school. Due to his condition, Johnathan was placed in the Special Ed classes, to help him learn. Kain began tormenting his fellow students, going as far as to even pour LSD in one kid's milk at lunch. Expelled from school, Justin was a step further to ending the life of Johnathan Ramsey. Finally, using his powers, Justin murdered both Harold and Lilah in their sleep.
Abilities and Powers
Justin Kain is one of the infamous Dream Weaver mutants, who's dreams do not see the future; they shape it. As such, Kain's method of attacking and killing his enemies is indirect, such as later in the night after a fight. Kain has shown proficient mastery of the dream world, able to bend it and twist it to his like, via lucid dreaming. For instance, Kain could bring someone he hates into his dreams, repeatedly stab them in the stomach, and in the real world that person could suddenly have open stab wounds or begin internally bleeding. Occasionally, Kain is even able to manipulate his dreams to inflict pain with none of the damage, in this case having his target feeling like they're being stabbed in the stomach repeatedly but have no signs internally or externally of an injury. Kain can also use these powers to alter his appearance, heal injuries, and manifest objects out of thin air.
Another interesting development of Kain's is his ability to summon and manipulate the pure essence of the dream world in the real world, which manifests itself as dark purple flames and energy. This essence can leave physical burns, but more importantly, it fatigues its affected target, making them more likely to fall asleep.
Kain also has been known to have minor psychic abilities, such as basic telepathy and telekinesis. However, his eyes must be closed to perform these feats.
Outside of the dream world, Kain is not particularly agile or strong. In a fist fight, without his dream-fire, he's unable to hold his own at all. He can't really dodge, and he can't take a punch. Disrupting Kain's attempts to use his Dream Weaver powers simply require loud noise, violently shaking him, or dousing him with cold water.
Kain has also shown a dislike of lullabies and hates when people sing around him. Perhaps there's another weakness that Kain is unwilling to admit.
Lastly, due to restrictions placed in his mind via Bad Dream's "programming", Kain is unable to use his powers against anyone with a rank of agent or above in Black Tie. Even attempts to use his dream-fire will result in a misfire or missed attack.
Kain is mean. Really mean. Kain doesn't get along well with others, but occasionally he'll make alliances or find someone modestly pleasurable to be around. However, women are little more than sex objects and trophies to him, and men are little more than people to take bullets for him.
When it comes to enemies... well, some have proven to slip between his fingers and fight him off in the dream world... but most die very quickly.
- Markel Darkweaver- His surrogate father. Kain considers himself Markel's responsibility, but unlike Dream, feels a connection and harbors intense loyalty for Darkweaver, despite considering him half of Markel Smythe, one of the three men he blames.
- Frenzystorm- It's unsure why Kain took a fancy to Storm. Oh please, who am I kidding? The two are destined for each other. Kain wants her, and nothing will stop him, even if people need to be taken out of the picture.
- Bad Dream- If only by force. Dream is an ally to Kain; nothing more. The moment he's free of Dream's mental blocks, hell will be unleashed, considering that Dream is one of the three men responsible for his ruined life.
- Jackie McSpookwright- Kain would never admit it, but he finds Jackie adorable.
- Heartless Katana- She protected Johnathan when he had control of the body. Kain begrudgingly feels he owes her something. She may be one of the few he tolerates and possibly respects.
- Markel Smythe- The man who kidnapped him and locked him in a stasis tube for a year of isolation. The man who gave him up to Dream. He doesn't care about Smythe's apologies, he simply wants revenge.
- R-41 Incinerator- Kain and Cinny did not get along on their first meeting, especially when Cinny offered to light him on fire. But secretly, Kain couldn't have been happier: another story to bring back to Bad Dream to break the mental blocks.
- Talisien- Operation: Dream Catcher was Talisien's pet project in the Shadow Spiders. He finds Talisien to be the man directly responsible for his misery and wants nothing more than to destroy everything Talisien loves and cares for.
- Sgt. Maris- Kain has never met Maris. He probably never will. But anyone who's harmed his "father" is not on his good list.
- Boreal Kiss- Oh why does he matter anymore? He disappeared, didn't he?
((Feel free to leave IC and OOC comments here!))
- "I have made many mistakes, ones that have ruined my life forever. But my greatest mistake... I ruined the life of an innocent child. And it was no accident. I'm so sorry. Oh god, I'm so sorry..."
- "I don't care what you think. You are not my son, and you will never be!"
- "He'd better clean up his act and care about his own survival for once. I'm already sick of stepping in."
- " I'm not in the mood to tell my life story to anyone. He understands that. "
- Kain does not drink alcohol and seems to particularly despise it. He's berated Darkweaver and Storm on a few occasions for drinking, calling them "drunk and stupid."
- Kain uses his abilities to alter his own appearance, therefore he looks different when Johnathan "wakes up".
- Kain has already shown his potential to be a master manipulator, using several individuals to his advantage through lies and deceit. The most notable example would be his murder of Boreal and dream-forgery of a "good-bye" note to Storm, so he could comfort and take her for his own.
- Kain's signature red tie belonged to his mother, who wore it for a costume party before she died of cancer.
- Due to his mother's cause of death, telling Kain to "die of cancer" seem to really piss him off.
- Kain's Dream Weaver abilities, due to the extreme potential to be abused, are never used outside of story lines.
- Kain is pretty much inspired by Tyler Durden of Fight Club, though his look was inspired by Gerard Way of the band My Chemical Romance
- Kain is part of a very old Shadow Spiders plot called "Operation: Dream Catcher" I ran on Talisien before I was booted. I'd been toying around with the idea of bringing this character back or involving him in a plot for quite some time before rolling Kain.
- His powers and name were inspired by the Boondox song "Sleep Stalker"
- Kain is often affectionately referred to OOC as "Darky Jr." since he acts in a similar, angry and hateful mannerism.