From Unofficial Handbook of the Virtue Universe
The original idea was based on the idea of the Little Mermaid mixed with the Batman. She was supposed to be a mutant who was about as close to natural and normal as possible having trouble with the super powered world around her. Her story retains some of these aspects but has changed a bit since the story moved on.
- Delta Eclipse: Desend's first close human friend. Scylen constantly teases her but she doesn't mind since most of the time she knows he is playing with her. She even tried to help Scy's relationship with Petite but despite her best efforts she failed. To try to make Scy feel a bit better she pretends to have a crush on Scy but she really isn't interested.
- Terra Silverspar: At first Terra and Desend started off on bad terms because Desend didn't believe that supernatural diseases such as lycanthropy or vampirism. Since Terra is a werewolf, she originally thought Terra was insane. That all changed when a vampire (name forgotten) bit her when on patrol in Bloody Bay and eventually made her one. Since then the two have had a close friendship with Desend even thinking of Terra as her mother.
- FelFox: While Fox and Desend haven't really spent as much time together as the rest of her friends, the two have trusted in each other in all sorts of things. Recently she has been helping Fox carry out investigations of places where Fox can't easily goto. These missions eventually led to Desend getting captured for several weeks but even though she escaped Fox had left just before then to find her.
- Poca Muerte: Also known as Petite le Morte, Desend and Petite spend lots of time together. When Desend's days a bounty hunter were over, she quickly turned to Petite because of all the things they did together. The two of them often go to the D and play truth or dare using the monkey fights and have often learned a lot about each other and others playing from this game.
- Circle of Thorns: Perhaps the strangest and most powerful of Desend's allies is none other then the Circle of Thorns. While they completely accept that as a heroine she is at times forced to act against them, they are fine with that and will fight back in such cases. Most of the time they help each other with their goals often making trades of items or knowledge in exchange for help.
- Virtea Rebels: While only a very small group made up of all sorts of Virtea, they help Desend on her quest to throw off the Coralax oppression of all Virtea. Together they have been largely unsuccessful due in part to the simple nature and tendency to avoid large acts of violence by the Virtea and the brainwashing of the Coralax masters.
- Coralax: Completely at odds with the Coralax for being too extreme and unwilling to dirty their hands directly. While Desend agrees with the Coralax that humans are destroying the ocean, she thinks that there is a peaceful solution instead of using violence. Combined with the fact that the Coralax oppress the Virtea, she has launched a covert war with them.
- Arachnos: Unlike most heroes and heroines who fight Arachnos because they are told to or because they think Arachnos is evil, Desend fights them because she has gone to the islands and seen what it is like undercover. She has also seen what happens when a group rules another through lies, tricks, and force just as the Coralax have done to the Virtea and she is determined to not let that happen. However, many encounters with Barracuda and Captain Mako have managed to make them interested in her since she means potential answers to the past and present along with new magical artifacts that could be used for power.
Desend features a very complex history filled with lies and deceit often making it confusing for people to quite understand what the real truth is. This is further complicated by the fact that over the course of the character's life two different players have had a hand in shaping it. It's also important to remember that Serpeanids grow extremely fast compared to humans, averaging four times faster.
Ascend, who would later be known as Desend, was hatched in one of the few static tribes among the Virtea, in a place known as Observance due to its close proximity to the humans. As is common with Serpeanid tradition and society, Ascend and her sisters learned from their mother on how to find herbs while her brothers learned how to hunt from their father. However, when she was two years of age a plague broke out among the land and many males died from it. To compensate for this, the elders selected some of the fitest girls to learn how to fill roles the males traditionally preformed and Ascend was among those picked. At first she was assigned to be a hunter but her knowledge of herbal proved useful for helping the injured warriors of her tribe who would raid human ships for rare supplies. So she was transfered yet again to joining their ranks and helping aid any who would get hurt in such a dangerous task. She proved extremely successful on these raids due to her tracking skills, knowledge of herbs, and combat skills.
The other Serpeanid tribes even learned of Ascend's abilities and many thought she would go down in their legends however it was not to be. Five years after her hatching when she along with all the others hatched around the same time as her were to have the elders prophecy over each of their futures and be declared an adult, a major disaster occurred as the chief elder was murdered by a fellow Serpeanid. Such an act is unheard of, to kill another Serpeanid is to kill one's very own brother or sister and the entire ceremony was put on hold while they hunted down the criminal responsible. This however left room for quite an awkward turn of events as the ceremony precedes the mating season, and since this was to be their first after being declared adults it left many of them confused as to what to do. During this time, Ascend had met Strong and the two fell in love. Yet it didn't last long as shortly after the mating season had passed, the criminal was caught and the ceremony finally went ahead as planned after the criminal had been tortured to death and then skinned alive with his scales put on display outside the temple as a warning to all.
When it came to Ascend's turn for a prophecy to be established, many had great hopes that she would be a champion of their dieing race and it was made the big event. However, the new chief elder prophesied that her staying would led to the destruction of their tribe and for their sakes she must be banished. So as was tradition, they changed her name to be more fitting but not wanting to punish her for things beyond her control they named her Desend instead of Descend. Not wanting to doom her to death, the elders asked her if there was any place special she would wish to go and they would help in anyway possible. Desend asked if it were possible to live on land as she had grown fascinated by the human creatures. It took several weeks for the elders to finally get back to her as they spent long and hard to find a possible solution and they found an ancient shamanic ritual that would turn her into a human permanently if she should ever step on land. Desend agreed to this and the ritual was enacted turning her into a human. As a final farewell, she and Strong swam to the shore together looking at each other one last time before never seeing each other again as she walked towards the land to begin her new life.
Having left her old life behind for good, Desend began her new life as a human with a harsh lesson in human greed. All alone, unarmed, and completely distracted by all the new sights, and sounds not to mention that she wasn't at all used to being a human and kept stumbling or falling over while trying to walk it didn't take long for a band of highwaymen to quickly seize her. Having nothing of value on her, she was taken to the leader of the highwaymen to find out what they should do with her. As would be expected of such depraved individuals, they tried to take advantage of this strange acting foreigner. However she had managed to use their infighting to free and arm herself, quickly slaying several of the highwaymen. The rest of the highwaymen were about to slay her as she was easily outnumbered but the leader found it amusing that a woman had such skill with a sword and ordered them to stop. Not wanting to stain his reputation by having his men killed by her, he himself challenged her to a duel. Naturally she didn't understand anything they said this entire time nor could speak a reply so she just stood their still on guard in case anyone would attack and with the leader drawing his sword and heading towards her after all the others stopped attacking it didn't take long for her to get what was going on. What the leader of the highwaymen wasn't expecting was that his combat experience paled in comparison to hers and she soundly outclassed him until he surrendered.
In a strange turn of events, the leader of the highwaymen offered her the position of his second in command. Desend still unable to understand anything just stood there with her sword to his throat. What followed was a long and drawn out situation with the highwayman trying to bargain with her and she not doing anything. It wasn't until she started blurting out words randomly that it clicked to them that she couldn't understand anything nor speak it. With this knowledge in mind they tried many different things to try and get her to understand what was going on and eventually thanks to a crude drawing in the dirt she understood and agreed to join them. As she joined them on their raids, muggings, and often as being bait for a trap set by them, they in turn taught her all the necessary things needed such as English. It wasn't a fantastic life but at least it suited her abilities and she got to learn a great deal about humans, from their ways of life, politics, and even human weaponry. Desend was particularly drawn to the bow as she had found human bodies to be far less forgiving and much more rigid then what she was used to and one screw up with a sword meant she might be in serious trouble and with a bow she could keep her distance. She eventually became quite skilled with her bow to the point she even won a couple archery contests in various towns.
Yet with rumors of a crusade being called, the lord of the land decided to take a campaign against all the theives, robbers, pirates, and highwaymen that plagued his lands so he wouldn't be left wide open when his troops would have to be sent out. Desend, constantly trying to learn about humans, learned of this and warned the highwaymen. Most favored leaving to a different country but the leader of the men came up with quite a daring plan. Over the years, many people had joined his group to flee the corruption and problems of life following the law and it grew to the point where it was almost an army in it's own right. Desend was sent as an envoy to the lord knowing that he would more likely accept a proposal from her then if he sent one of his men or himself. The plan was simple, she was to try and get the lord to agree to grant a pardon to any criminal who pays a small fine and serves in the crusade. The lord eventually agreed figuring that no criminal would actually pay their dues, never mind joining the crusade. However, the highwaymen had enough wealth in excess that every one of them paid their fines and agreed to join the army. In the end, so many ex-criminals took advantage of this that the lord didn't have to send out a single soldier of his own nor spend a copper on equipping them while in return, when the ex-criminals would return from the land they would get to live a rich life without any fear of being hunted down.
-To be continued-
Weaknesses and Limitations
To the right is a guide to translating the spoken language to English. Its important to remember that anytime an s sound appears in Serpeanid it is the first letter in a pair unless it follows an s.
There is also a few changes in their speech since names are often taken from words. Desend Lionert is directly translated as "Rsshsser Vssssessnl" but this isn't right because it is a name of a female so it should be "Rsshsser Vssssessnl'so" with 'so meaning F for Female. The other two main ones are 'su for Male and 'se for Place.
This article about a character is a stub -- a small, but growing, work in progress. If you're the creator of this character, why not consider expanding it?