From Unofficial Handbook of the Virtue Universe
Radiation Rose was my most successful attempt to make a villain based on my heroine Liberty Rose. Libby strongly resists being made to do evil things.
Born of Crey
MVLR-1 and MVLR-2 both came to consciousness floating in Crey Clonal Growth Matrices. Their tubes were cracked and leaking nutrient fluids, lights were flashing, and alarms were clanging. The basic urge to survive caused them to finish removing themselves from these artificial environments. The female was more than a little bewildered; the education programs wired to her tube had developed a severe loop some time ago, and no one had noticed. The male, however, had basic understanding and skills. Reading the clipboards hooked to their former creches, he told her that she was "Rosie" and he was "Con".
Allowing her to accustom herself to movement and noise, Con left Rosie in the ruins of the laboratory. He returned shortly with the news that he'd found a Crey scientist and forced from the man various bits of information: the lab was under attack by a group of super heroes, the MVLR series were a part of the Paragon Protectors Program - weapons and guards for Crey Industries, and that the one place they might be able to escape Crey was called the Rogue Isles.
Con's information gathering led them, as well, to a pair of containment suits, and the two made their escape.
Con managed to get them both out of the lab, through the traffic tunnel, and onto a smuggler's boat headed to the Rogue Isles. Once there, Con told Rosie that he'd learned from the boat captain that one had to "register" in order to get "money" in order to do well in the Rogue Isles. Together they made their way to an officer who registered them as "Radiation Rose" and "Major Conflict" - Con's choices of names.
Still exhibiting the leadership that had, apparently been programmed into him, Con established the duo in a ramshackle abandoned building in Mercy Isle. Then he left to find the "money" they needed. Rosie has never seen him since.
Driven by hunger, Rosie eventually accepted some jobs from random contacts, learning to earn "money" herself, although being rather simple, illiterate, and very much missing Con's guidance, she was taken advantage of repeatedly. Eventually Radium Blight's path crossed the waif's and, in an unaccountable humanitarian gesture, he added her to the Entropy Legion stable.
Radiation Rose is uneducated, almost child-like both in innocence and callousness, and probably slightly mentally retarded. The world is a source of wonder and confusion, and she can usually be relied upon to ask embarrassing questions at the worst of times.
Radiation Rose has no skills.
Weaknesses and Limitations
- Radiation Rose emits nuclear radiation at all times. She unconsciously controls this, keeping the level to about that of ambient radiation, but when upset or angry, can certainly start Geiger counters chattering. As she and Con did not come away with the helmets to their containment suits, it is dangerous for others to be around her when she is under such stresses.
- Rosie's in-put education accidentally ended at about the First Grade level. She cannot read or write. She does not know the different units of money. She has no "World Knowledge" structure with which to understand most of the situations she's encountered in her short life. She can be educated but no one has yet thought to try.
- Radiation Rose is accustomed to doing tasks as she is told to do them. This can lead to various errors due to mis-communication.
- Technically, Radiation Rose can't yet be a Rogue; but she is intended to become one.
- Unknown to Rosie, Major Conflict used force in all his "information gathering" instances.
- Radiation Rose and Major Conflict were designed together after Liberty Rose and Major Victorious's encounters with the Paragon Protector story lines: the Crey computer report said DNA samples had been taken from the pair of heroes. We projected that Rosie and Con would be the results of Crey's use of those samples.
- none currently
|Liberty Rose's Characters
|Afire • Bee Muse • Bright Lady • Ceiba • Coronal Light • Dee Nova • Detective Sanders • Dora Daring • Flitterby • Ghost Wife • Gravity Anomaly • Lady Aid • Lady in Green • Liberty Rose • Medikka • Oceanid • Opal Mind • Psilencer 7 • Sandcast • Sea Maiden • Stellar Beacon • Tesla Teen • Timelass • Web Woman
|Accountant • Mind's Psi • Weyrling
|Korythalia • Mind Dance • Nocturne Falcon
|Bleeding Lily • Wychery